Online English Shepherd Resources:
Dude owned by Tedra Parker
A literature review on the welfare implications of gonadectomy of dogs. Kendall E. Houlihan dvm. https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10.2460/javma.250.10.1155
Health concerns of MDR1 (Multi-drug sensitivity) - mutant gene in collies & collie type dogs (including English Shepherds) - Washington State University study
Health concerns Canine Hip Dyplasia: Pennhip, OFA (Othopedic Foundation for Animals)
American Herding Breed Association
Working Aussie Source - Comprehensive listing of herding resources available online and in print, as well as information on organizations promoting herding.
Herding on the Web - Website featuring information on various herding breeds, as well as links to herding clubs throughout the United States and Canada.
Stockdog Library - Nice collection of articles on training and using stockdogs, posted on the Working Aussie Source website.
Collies: Back to the Future - Interesting website examining the origins and history of various herding breeds.
Email Lists discussing English Shepherds:
The English Shepherd Club has an email list on Groups.io available to members at https://groups.io/g/EngShepClub/
There are several Facebook groups dedicated to the English Shepherd
There are several Yahoo groups dedicated to the English Shepherd
Therapy Dogs - General Information
Therapy Dogs Delta Society
Agility - Website with descriptions and links to agility organizations.
Flyball - General information and contacts for flyball teams throughout the United States
Nosework ® - General information
Barnhunt - General information
Books of Interest to English Shepherd Owners:
- Working Sheep Dogs by Tully Williams – he has done a LOT of thinking about how different working traits fit together and result in a good working dog.
- The Farmer's Dog by John Holmes. Popular Dogs Publ. Co. Ltd., 3 Fitzroy Square, London, WIP 6JD, U.K.
- Herding Dogs: Progressive Training by Vergil Holland. Howell Book House, 15 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10023.
- Training and Working Dogs For Quiet Confident Control of Stock, by Scott Lithgow, University of Queensland Press, © 1987
- Sheepdog Training, An All Breed Approach , by Mari Taggert. Describes ES's in a brief paragraph as being like "the old Chevy car."
- Stockdog Savvy by Jeanne Joy Hartnagle-Taylor and Ty Talor. Stockdog Savvy Workbook. Both books are available through Amazon. Plus a review of the workbook from Working Aussie Source. https://www.workingaussiesource.com/the-stockdog-savvy-workbook-by-jeanne-joy-hartnagle-taylor/
Books that feature the English Shepherd Dog:
- The Howell Book of Dogs by Liz Palika A definitive reference to 200 breeds and varieties. Best general interest or reference book, Dog Writers Association of America 2007, Features English Shepherd Dillon owned by Rebecca Wingler
- Harper's Illustrated Handbook of Dogs, 1991., Roger Caras (ed.), ISBN 0-06-273164-5, Harper & Row, Publishers, Color plate (#98) of an English Shepherd, pg. 259--nice 1 page breed description. Available in hard cover and paperback. Interesting book with pictures of several of the lesser known UKC breeds.
- The Atlas of Dog Breeds of the World ; 1989, 2 Volumes, Wilcox and Walkowicz, ISBN 0-86622-855-1, T.F.H. Publications, Inc., Pg. 372, 2 color photos with a discription of the breed, Pg. 60 color photo of ES working cattle.
- A Celebration of Rare Breeds, 1986, Cathy Flamholtz, ISBN 0-940269-00-7, OTR Publications, Pages 88 through 91, 3 B/W photos with stories about old time ES people. Fun to read.